5 June 2013 Divorce - frequently asked questions

By Josephine Blight

Am i eligible to apply for divorce in australia?

If you want to apply for a divorce in Australia either you or your spouse need to have some connection with Australia. Usually this means that at least one of you:

  • regards Australia as your home and intends to live here indefinitely; or
  • is an Australian citizen; or
  • has lived in Australia for the 12 months immediately before filing for divorce.
When can I apply for a divorce?

You can apply for a divorce once you have been separated from your husband/wife for a period of at least 12 months. 

What is separation?

Separation occurs when one party forms an intention that the marriage is over and communicates that intention to the other party.  In certain circumstances separation can take place whilst you are both still living under the one roof.

What are the grounds for divorce?

There is only one ground for divorce, which is that the marriage has broken down irretrievably.

How do I file for Divorce?

You need to complete an Application for Divorce and lodge it at the Federal Circuit Court of Australia.  The divorce has a filing fee payable directly to the court.  You then need to serve a copy of the Application for Divorce on your husband/wife.

Whilst the Family Law Courts website has a very helpful "do it yourself" divorce kit it may be worthwhile retaining a lawyer to act on your behalf in connection with the divorce proceedings as your divorce can have consequences for your property and children's proceedings.

Can I oppose an Application for Divorce?

Yes. If you and your partner have not been separated for 12 months, or if proper arrangements have not been made for your children, you may be able to oppose the Application for Divorce.

How do I oppose the Divorce?

You will need to file a "Response to Application for Divorce" at the Court and attend the divorce hearing. It may be a good idea to obtain specialist advice from a lawyer if you wish to oppose the divorce.

What happens to my Will when I divorce?

A divorce can affect the validity of your Will.  In particular, if in your Will you have appointed your spouse as your Executor and/or included him/her as a beneficiary, those parts of your Will are automatically revoked on the day your divorce becomes final.

If you are thinking of getting divorced, or have recently been divorced, you should ask a lawyer to review your Will and/or give thought to making a new Will. 

When is my divorce final?

When you file your Application for Divorce you will be given a hearing date.  If everything is in order on the hearing date then your divorce will be granted on that day, however it will not become final until 1 month and 1 day after the day the divorce is granted.  It is only after that date that you will be free to remarry if you wish.

Is there anything I can do to fast track my divorce?

Yes, in certain circumstances it is possible to apply to the court to fast track your divorce. You should seek specialist advice from a lawyer if you wish to do so.

For further information, please contact our family law team.

If you would like to republish this article, it is generally approved, but prior to doing so please contact the Marketing team at

This article is not legal advice and the views and comments are of a general nature only. This article is not to be relied upon in substitution for detailed legal advice.

Back to publications
Association Memberships
Tristan Jepson Memorial Foundation
  • 2015 - Finalist Lawyers Weekly Women in Law Awards
  • 2015 - Finalist Lawyers Weekly Australian Law Awards - Employee program of the year