23 February 2016 Parental gifts – who gets them if your marriage breaks down?

By Annette Wilson, Partner and Adam Zwi, Solicitor


Your parents give you and your spouse some money – say, to buy a house. Then you split up. To what extent will your spouse get the benefit of the gift?

When a relationship breaks up, the matrimonial property may need to be divided between the parties. The court will go through the following steps:

  1. determining whether it is appropriate to make an order dividing the property at all;

  2. identifying and valuing the assets, liabilities and financial resources (otherwise known as "the pool" or "matrimonial property");

  3. assessing each party's contribution to the pool;

  4. assessing each party's future needs;

  5. determining what is just and equitable in all the circumstances.

Parental gifts are an issue at step 3 – when assessing each party's contribution to the pool.

One of the factors the Court will consider is the direct or indirect financial contribution made by or on behalf of a party to the marriage to the acquisition, conservation or improvement of matrimonial property.

Parental gifts are financial contributions made on behalf of…whom? You alone? Or you and your spouse jointly?

Sometimes it's difficult to tell. Parents do not always have clear intentions about whether the gift is intended for you alone, or you and your spouse together. The waters are further muddied because, in almost all cases, your spouse will inevitably receive some indirect benefit from the gift (e.g. living in the gifted home, or paying less on the mortgage) – even if it was intended for you alone. 

In most cases, the Court will assume that your parents intended the gift to go to you alone. Therefore, the gift will be counted as your contribution to the marriage. This doesn't necessarily mean that you will "keep the house" – but it will certainly work in your favour.

If your spouse wants to argue that the gift should be counted as a joint contribution, he/she will need to provide evidence that your parents intended to give the gift to both parties. This is difficult to prove, but has been successful in some cases (for instance, where the gift is in recognition of both parties' service to one party's parents).

The fact that the property is registered in the name of one or both parties is not determinative. The Court has wide powers to alter property interests and order the transfer of property between the parties. 

What does this mean for me?

If your parents provide a financial gift, it's better for you if they provide it to you alone. Of course, this is ultimately a decision for your parents, not you.

If you are the other party, and your spouse's parents provide a financial gift, you may wish to seek some clarification about who exactly the gift is intended for. If it's intended for both parties, it's preferable to get that in writing.

Ultimately, the best way to quarantine certain assets from the matrimonial pool is to enter into a binding financial agreement. This can be done before or during the marriage, and provides far more certainty for everyone involved.


To speak to one of our Family Law specialists, please contact:

Annette Wilson, Partner  |  Phone: +61 2 9233 5544  |  Email:

If you would like to republish this article, it is generally approved, but prior to doing so please contact the Marketing team at

This article is not legal advice and the views and comments are of a general nature only. This article is not to be relied upon in substitution for detailed legal advice.

Back to publications
Association Memberships
Tristan Jepson Memorial Foundation
  • 2018 - Recommended Doyles Guide
  • 2018 - Recommended Doyles Guide
  • 2018 - Recommended Doyles Guide