Critical to employers
Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) is an area of critical importance for all employers. It can give rise to substantial legal and reputational risks. These risks include significant penalties, adverse publicity and exclusion from government and commercial tenders.
It is not sufficient to simply address these risks reactively in the event of an accident – employers need to establish and maintain a sophisticated safety management system. This entails the development and effective promulgation of policies and procedures, training of workers in the safety management system and the implementation of a process of audit and continuous improvement.
We work with employers in all aspects of WHS compliance. This includes developing and reviewing safety policies, formulating and delivering fully tailored WHS training (including at Board level) and the provision of technically sound, commercially astute WHS advice.
In the event of an incident we also act for employers at all stages in the investigation and prosecution process, including defending matters in court.
We have recently acted for a range of organisations, including both public and private sector employers, in various WHS matters.
- Provision of advice on all aspects of WHS law (including officer and employee obligations)
- Provision of bespoke training on WHS laws for staff (including at Board level)
- Formulation and review of WHS policy
- Dealing with SafeWork NSW
- Dealing with unions on safety issues
- Dealing with Health & Safety Representatives
- Responding to SafeWork NSW notices
- WHS crisis response (including dealing with stakeholders and media)
- Coronial investigations
- Defending SafeWork NSW prosecutions