In a recent decision, Diane Porteous v G. Kakafikas and A.G. Bek partnership t/a Yarra Glen Pharmacy  FWC 6264, Deputy President…
I am a workplace relations lawyer with over 20 years’ experience in assisting clients navigate employment, discrimination and work health and safety issues. I advise on all aspects of the employment relationship including employment contracts, modern awards and enterprise agreements, anti-discrimination and diversity, sexual harassment, bullying, performance and conduct, managing illness and injury, industrial disputes, unfair dismissal, adverse action/general protections, confidential information, post-employment restraints and WHS.
I am an experienced advocate, undertake complex workplace investigations and deliver bespoke training on employment law issues (including at board level).
I am a co-author of the publications ‘Annotated Fair Work Act & Related Legislation’ and ‘Fair Work: A user-friendly guide’. As well as regularly presenting at seminars and conferences, I am frequently called upon for expert opinion in the media. I have appeared on various radio segments and been quoted in publications including The Australian Financial Review, The Age, ABC News, Lawyers Weekly, Workplace Express, OHS Alert, SmartCompany and InTheBlack on workplace relations and WHS law issues.
Since joining Swaab in 2018 I have acted on a broad range of matters including:
- Advising a company in the food production industry on right of entry issues.
- Advising a large cleaning company on workplace arrangements.
- Advising a high profile media company on various employment law matters.
- Advising the board of a prominent government agency on WHS issues relating to management of principal contractors.
- Acting for a listed company on the defence of a claim from a former employee in the Supreme Court.
- Acting for a large internet/online company in defence of various employee claims in the AHRC and FWC.
- Advising and acting for an equipment company on various employment issues including workplace surveillance and post-employment conduct.
- Reviewing and drafting suites of employment contracts for various clients.
- Reviewing and drafting independent contractor agreements for various clients.
- Strategic workplace relations advice for various clients.
- Employment Law
- Workplace Relations
- Work Health and Safety (including Coronial Inquests)
Roles, membership and education
- Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours) (University of Technology, Sydney) 1994
- Bachelor of Business (University of Technology, Sydney) 1994
- Member of the Law Society of NSW
- Member of the Australian Human Resources Institute
- Member of the NSW Industrial Relations Society
- Member of the Law Society of NSW Employment Law Committee